Thursday, June 26, 2008

at the beach

Have you ever noticed how whatever is on your mind suddenly plays out in the world around you with crystal clarity? We've had Down Syndrome on the mind and suddenly it seems like everywhere we go is someone with Down Syndrome.
Today we saw a young man with Downs who had very little hair--it looked like a chemo-treatment sort of hair loss. A couple days ago, we saw a young many with Downs dressed like a little g...beard, sideways hat, big black rapper shirt baggy pants. Each person we've seen has been dressed in clean clothes that seem to be what the parents think is the best look.
One little girl with Downs at the beach caught my attention. I'm not sure how old she was, but she was at least four or five. She wore a great pink strawberry swimsuit and had cute pigtails. I saw her just past the life guard chair sitting face-front on her mom's lap as they joyfully leaned in for kiss after kiss. Her family was a big group--with cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents. I'm so glad our family gets to share in the joy and pain, triumph and frustration together.
We should do it at the beach. =)

2 comments:

Plainbellied said...

I'm curious. Did you talk to any of them? I've heard we're sort of in this exclusive club now, unifying people beyond the boundaries of acquaintance. I really like that, but I don't know the secret handshake.

Urban Tangerine said...

it's totally true. I saw a gorgeous 20 month old girl with Downs at a playground on the upper west side (UWS) last week and I approached her caregiver who immediately told me that Juliet had Downs. I told her about Mermaid and the caregiver was very effusive with her encouragement. I asked about early intervention and was invited to wait for the OT who was coming within the hour. Then I talked with the OT and got the lowdown on how it works in my neck of the urban jungle. So, I was able to get recommendations for some agencies. Yeah, there was an instant bond and willingness to be personal. I've also found people who hardly know me being a huge support by sharing their very personal experiences.