Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Getting Started

Several years ago, I gave birth to a very sweet baby girl. We learned the day she was born that she probably had Down Syndrome. Five days later, we knew for sure she did. She was so frail because of complications from my pregnancy that she died 9 days after birth. So, the fact that she had Down Syndrome went into our mental periphery.
We tried to teach our son sign language, telling him that if his sister had lived, it would've helped her communicate better. Whenever I see a person with mental challenges or Down Syndrome in particular, I think of our little girl and want to be extra kind--how I would have wanted someone to treat my daughter.
That was where things stood until last week.
In one week, two of my sisters each learned that one of their children has Down Syndrome. My older sister found out her 6 month old daughter likely has what is called Mosaic Down Syndrome. My younger sister learned through amniocentesis that the baby boy she is carrying also has Down Syndrome.
They are both going through periods of altered expectations and emotional adjustments. And they both love their babies very much.
My older sister's husband suggested the family get matching shirts that say, "I'm down with Downs" and I liked the idea so much, I set up this blog using that phrase. My sisters are both authors on this site and will be chronicling their individual journeys in this shared experience.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I was thinking about your sweet little girl over the weekend. We feel blessed to have spent time with her during those precious days. Love you!