Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Where is it?

Tonight Buttercup (who is old enough to pick her own code name), asked me:
"Where is Down syndrome? I mean, where on your body?"
Classic mom response:
"What do you think?"
Buttercup:
"I think it's on your feet"
Me:
"Because Mermaid has a couple of toes that are sort of stuck together?"
Buttercup:
"Yeah."
Buttercup gets to stay up and look at pictures on DS association websites and talk.
Me:
"So, it's kind of funny that people make such a big deal and give it this special name and everything when all these kids are just doing kid stuff, huh?"
Buttercup:
Just gloating about having defied bedtime again. =)

2 comments:

Plainbellied said...

Her Nibs was kind of the same way. I read her all these books about Down syndrome from the library and told her we knew someone who had it.

Do you know who?, I asked her.

Me? she asked.

No. It's not you.

My best friend! she beamed.

To her, the designation clearly seems completely random.

Lynn said...

Emily - I've looked at your wonderful blog - I can't read it at work anymore - too many tears. (not sadness though). But I love, and think about often, that I was there when Mermaid came into the world in such a beautiful, peaceful and perfect way.