Thursday, September 30, 2010

False Success: Good or Bad?

I recently heard the story of Ike Ditzenberger, who has Down syndrome and scored a touch down in a high school football game. The detailed story includes an account of how the opposing team was under instructions to let him score and to try and make it as exciting for him as possible. I have very mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, that was a whole lot of people pulling together because they cared about this boy. They wanted him to have this amazing experience, essentially to make a dream come true for him. On the other hand, it was kind of a lie. And I wonder if this sort of false success undermines the cause of Down syndrome awareness. Individuals with DS are capable of so much without others just pretending that they have achieved something. I'm really conflicted. What are your thoughts?

And while you're thinking about it, check out this video of another high school athlete with DS: Kody Conover shoots a 3 pointer while playing basketball in Vernal, Utah. It's true that the other team defends him light, and in some moments, not at all. But my husband points out that in the case of a 3 pointer, you don't want to risk fouling and giving the shooter a chance at 3 free throws; better to risk the 3 point shot. So maybe the other team goes easy on him for strategic reasons and possibly because he has DS, but he makes that shot all on his own, and that is just amazing.



3 comments:

Cacooning said...

From what I can tell, the other team never defended anyone outside of the three point line. My coach in high school told us to let them take the three point shot and to keep to zone inside (unless we were playing man to man, of course...) My favorite thing, though, is how the members of the opposite team cheered him on immediately. I don't know if false success is good or bad in the sense of the football touchdown, but it sure probably made a whole lot of people feel good (not just one person.)

Alison Piepmeier said...

In both cases I like the sense of the community supporting and valuing this particular member. But like you, I had mixed feelings about the football video. Sometimes lowered expectations can be valid, but I'm always suspicious of them, because--as you're saying here--they're not always necessary, and they're often assumed to be necessary for folks with Down syndrome.

Urban Tangerine said...

As per this video, I didn't see anything in the video that would have been different if the young man did not have DS. He was quick and responsive throughout, maybe even more energetic. I agree with Cacooning that coaches would want to lay off anyone with a 3 pointer because the opposing team is more likely to foul than the shooter is to make the basket. In fact, the family filming was heard to say, "Wish we could've seen that shot last week."

To comment on the question in general, I think that there are too many variables for me to take a definitive stance: individual, family, feelings or understanding of the event, severity of limitations, etc. When my children hide under a dishtowel, I always say, "Where is so and so?" Even though I know full well where they are. They pop out smiling and want to do it repeatedly forever. Am I being false with them? I also pretend that I don't know where they are when we play hide and seek, at least when they are little. As they get older and their understanding increases, I'm tougher. Now, they beat me at all kinds of games when I'm trying my best. So, I guess it depends on where the individual is as well as the surrounding factors. Anytime people are trying to be considerate of others, it's a thumbs up in my book.

We have the reverse issue here when some exceptionally bright and physically precocious kids in our co-op always win. Sometimes, to make it fun for everyone, their parents give them disadvantages like "take a step backwards for every question you've already answered." Otherwise, none of the other kids would ever get a chance. I guess you could be "out" after reaching a max number of right answers. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "level playing field." It's an issue almost everybody has to deal with. I'm happy to leave it to the discretion of each family. Good question, Plainbellied.