Monday, September 15, 2008

Tangent about scrubs

Scrubs are a scam. Granted, there was never any PSA indicating that medical professionals would dump all of the street clothes in a locker and then have a scrub down with boiling water and lye soap prior to donning their sterilized scrub suit especially for medical providers. But "scrubs" sounds like scrubbed, tubbed, germ free and ready to give you sanitary medical attention. However, I see these people in scrubs walking the streets, buying their lunches from street vendors, leaning against exterior walls and taking smoking breaks. Scrubs give a false sense of germ security. I think people really wear scrubs because it makes wearing pajamas to work acceptable. I get it. Medical professionals work crazy hours and it's hard to tell whether it's day or night when you're living in florescent lights for 18 hours straight. I should get some scrubs so that I can sleep in them and then roll out of bed ready for work. What do you think? Should I get the plain or something a little edgier with hearts and angels? ;)

1 comment:

SumGreater said...

This one made me laugh. There are some truly hideous scrubs out there...I get it for pediatric nurses who want to look more like clowns than medical professionals to distract the children (apparently?), but not for anyone else.
It reminds me of something Clinton Kelly said on What Not To Wear not too long ago. "Crocs are a sign of the apocalypse." Not really a scrubs comment except that they usually come with very ugly, equally unsanitary shoes.