Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Contact

I just moved. It's not that big a deal, really. I've moved at least 10 times in my life, and that's not counting any of my various apartments in college, etc. I figured once we got settled, I'd contact the local support group and join the party. No big deal.

It was harder than I thought.

The group out here is pretty big, I guess, and very organized. Their website is amazing, and actually helped me choose the hospital where I want to deliver Lizard Loaf, which also led me to my new doctor (who I hope is amazing... she sure sounds like she will be). For contact info, there was a phone number and general email address, too. I tried the number first. Even just dialing it, I felt anxiety. What do I say? I got some sucky news this past summer, so will you guys be my friends? Everything I thought of sounded pretty much as bad. But even worse, no one answered. The contact number for this support group went to a voice mail. "We try to check these messages frequently," it hedged. Try?! So, if you're busy, my petrified call for help would be what? Over-looked? Misplaced? Out-dated? Forgotten? I started feeling like I already belonged in the 'round file' (aka-trash can). No one was going to listen to my message. There wasn't going to be anyone in my new town to help me. I was alone.

*sigh*

I cried a little. Then I sent a terse note to the email listed and left the computer. My daughter's preschool tries to use redirection as the primary response when children get upset or misbehave, and I thought I'd try the same thing. I don't remember what I did, but an hour later my husband happened to check my email. I had such a wonderful note from one of the board members of the local group, and she had responded to my email within 10 minutes. It was a few days before I responded, and I still haven't called to set up a time to meet her and her son, but hearing from her has been such a comfort, such a strength. I'm not in the 'round file'; I'm not alone. My new friend says that I'm part of a special club now and that 'we stick together'. I think I believe that.

5 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

I vaguely remember you mentioning that you were moving soon....and I think it just gets harder and harder in many ways.

I am SO glad to know that you are not lost or alone or forgotten or misplaced. You're going to need a lot of support in the next few months.....and then some. Again, I am SO glad to hear that you've found some support (and a doctor and hospital already. That's really great.)

SumGreater said...

I'm so glad they were quick to write back. They are going to be some lucky ducks just to get to know you. I know not everybody believes God has a detailed plan for each of us, but I do. Not that there's not loads of flexibility in it, but that He really does send you who/what you need, when you need them/it. I'm glad there are people there for you and I know you are there for some people. Love you. I'm always here for you.

The Dunne Family said...

A blogger named loomi-loom tagged us and pointed us to your website. Not sure where you just moved to, but if we can offer any support even from a far we would love to assit in any way. We live in North Carolina. Our oldest child Bently (4yrs) has Down Syndrome, and we have had a lot of great learning experience (as I am sure you have). We moved to NC when he was just 2 months old and learned quickly that certain doctors, organizations, and schools need a little strong-arm nudging in order to get the support we felt is best for our son. We would be happy to share experiences anytime.

http://dakotaandcharlotte.blogspot.com/

~Rachel~ said...

I'm so happy you found a support group to help you through this new journey with your lizard loaf! Call when you get a chance.

Urban Tangerine said...

I'm glad you're finding nurturers. I have some in my life too even though I haven't called any specific groups for families affected by Downs. It makes a difference.